In celebration of Sherlock Holmes Week (July 30-August 5), here are some free online resources for reading and watching the great detective:
- Read Sherlock! : since the original Sherlock Holmes stories have expired copyrights, they are freely available on many web sites. I like this one for ease of reading online, with eye-appealing features like clear text fonts and line lengths.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: free web books (University of Adelaide) : This site also contains all of Conan Doyle’s stories online, but you can also download the stories here for free to your Nook or Kindle!
- Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: free audio book. If you’d like to listen to an audio book, here’s a free collection of short stories you can download and listen to in the gym, in the car, or anywhere.
- Librivox: Arthur Conan Doyle. You can also find free audio books to download here, read by volunteers.
- Sherlock Holmes (1954). The first and only American television series of Sherlock Holmes adventures aired in syndication in the fall of 1954. Thirty-nine (39) half-hour mostly original stories starred Ronald Howard (son of Leslie Howard) as Holmes and Howard Marion Crawford as Watson. Now with an expired copyright, the series is available to watch free online here!
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle – 1927 interview. A rare television appearance by Conan Doyle discussing the creation of his fictional detective, Sherlock Holmes.